Protoshield is an addon board that sits on top of the main Arduino board. You can use the files below to order a board from a PCB manufacturer, or you can make them yourself. The file is in Eagle format; you'll have to generate your own drill and gerber files appropriate to your PCB house.
Shields are boards that can be plugged on top of the Arduino PCB extending its capabilities. Your are encourage to produce your own. The different shields must follow the same philosophy: easy to mount and cheap to produce.
This design has a few good features:
- power busses for +5V and GND in middle of board
- holes connected in groups of five, breadboard-style
- all regular Arduino pins accessible on top
- bottom of board cannot short to USB connector as in other protoshield designs
- power LED and reset button on top
- USB/External power jumper accessible with protoshield installed
- low parts count: only one capacitor, a resistor, and LED and a switch, in addition to header pins.
- two ways to use it: add header pins and a breadboard on top, or just use through holes to wire point to point.